22 December 2008

The ducks laughed.

Today is the second day of winter. 

I'm at home, eating nonstop. Good ol' California has supplied me with In-n-Out. I don't know how I live without it when I'm in Utah. My mom has supplied me with homemade cookies, homemade soup, homemade mango chutney, homemade Norwegian pasties, homemade latkes for breakfast, and endless supplies of oranges. Plus! Today I found caramel corn. I think I've gained 6lbs in the 3 days I've been home. I suppose I should bulk up before I starve in Europe.


Speaking of Europe. I leave in 5 days, for 3 months. I'm terrified and ridiculously excited. I'm all packed and ready to go, I'm just trying to enjoy my time here while I can.


I took a walk yesterday morning around the drizzly foggy lake in my neighborhood. I stole a pomegranate off a neighbors dying tree and nibbled the seeds as I spoke to my dog in french. I stopped to say hello to the ducks and geese. The Canadian geese were cordial, though they probably spoke french, in retrospect. The ducks were daffy. One didn't notice that all her companions had flown off the field and into the water. When she did realize this, she flew as fast as she could to catch up. As she lighted on the water, the ducks raised their voices in cacophonous laughter. They actually laughed. 

I had my dear Dutch friend over for a few hours and we got into my mom's Victorian hat collection, which led to getting into her Edwardian dress collections. Needless to say, with props like that, you're never too old to dress up. Plus, dress up as an adult is more of a photo shoot. 









It's been in the upper 40s here and we have a fire going constantly to combat the "bitter cold." And here I am in a skirt and short sleeved shirt. 

Christmas will be anti-climactic this year. I'm not ready to leave, but shortly I'll be very far away. London, are you ready?

Tonight I saw that Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood (Yes, the guys from Whose Line) are coming to Redding to do a Whose Line showcase in our Cascade Theatre. I can't believe it. But, they wont be here until Jan 17th so I'll just miss them. Which is too bad, because they are my favorite and I would love to go so badly! That is just awesome. 















Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for London. Oh the life I lead. 


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails