05 September 2009

Wise Thoughts

There is wisdom in the statement "Listen more than speak," for in such a manner even a fool can learn.

In being selfless, one never loses but always gains.

Seeking to keep peace will result in greater rewards than seeking for your own desires.

Though these thoughts seem passive and submissive, I've been thinking a lot lately about my feelings of complacency in my growth and improvement. I've decided that, while I value understanding my own thoughts and values, it benefits none for me to be openly decided about my opinion. I'd rather keep peace than push people away by my blunt nature. I am working on a few things for the next month and I'll try, through Divine help, to make these weaknesses strengths for me.

Things I am working on:

not swearing (my tongue has become far too lazy and inappropriate)

patience (I completely lack this valuable characteristic)

uplifting others (If I start to think an uncharitable thought toward someone I try to sing "As I Have Loved You" and look at the good in that person)

self control (whether this be controlling the urge to state my opinion, controlling how I speak and the quality and tone of my voice, or not over eating, self control is necessary)

humility (I've grown very confident since living in London, I'd like to have humility and the ability to recognize my faults as to not put myself above anyone)

I feel like all of these are good things to work on and things that I definitely lack. I also feel like they're all pretty interrelated. It is my goal this semester to a) get out of debt and STAY out of debt as much as possible, and b) to be the person that I know I can be, and the person that I want to be.


“And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them” (Ether 12:27).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails