07 March 2010

You're mad, but the secret is all the best people are...


Alice in Wonderland was wonderful. I hate that that was kind of redundant. But it was. It was different, but it didn't bother me. As an avid reader and purist, I have a hard time accepting book-based movies. You all know the line "the book was muuuuuuuch better." It's always better -no exception- so why do we always have to say it?

But this movie was awesome. The coloring of the movie really reminded me of Lord of the Rings, especially in the ending scenes with the Jabberwocky on the tower. I loved how Burton made Alice older. She was 19 instead of like 7, and I loved that she felt her growing up crisis at that age -especially because she was faced with the prospect of marriage with someone who clearly didn't understand her nor support her infatuation with life. I also loved that the movie seemed to really stress that the point of the story is that she doesn't quite fit in, that she's growing up, NOT that Lewis Carrol was crazy-obsessed and on drugs. They changed the plot, they mixed up the stories, but it didn't matter at all. It worked. It was great and pretty uplifting -not just a bizarre crazy drug-induced narrative. I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it even more because HILARY was with us, and because Matt and I had free tickets because we ate 4 boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios.

They quoted the Jabberwocky throughout the WHOLE FILM! I love the Jabberwocky.

'Twas brillig and the slithy toves
did gyre and gimble in the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogroves
and the mome raths outgrabe...


Ps. I think we should all be a little more inspired by life.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails